Advanced Practice Registered Nurse (Psychiatry Clinic)
Department of Veterans Affairs
$64,940 to $117,806
09/11/2017 to 07/10/2018
The mental health Advanced Practice Registered Nurse (APRN) is a member of the mental health team. APRNs will be independent providers within the general mental health clinic. As such, he/she will perform patient mental health assessments/consultations and provide ongoing case management. The APRN will initiate and implement outpatient plans of care for each patient; initiate and monitor the patient's medication regimen. The APRN will order laboratory and diagnostic tests and evaluate the results with consultation when necessary. The APRN must have prescriptive authority without co-signature for outpatient pharmaceuticals within the Scope of Practice using the current medical center formulary.Work Schedule: 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Monday -Friday
Function Statement Title/#: Advanced Practice Nurse/#000000
Conditions of Employment
- Must pass pre-employment examination.
- Designated and/or Random Drug Testing required.
- Background and/or Security Investigation required.
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
Physical Requirements:Heavy lifting (over 45 lbs.); Heavy Carrying (over 45 lbs.); Straight pulling (1 hour); Pushing (1 hour); Reaching above shoulder; Use of fingers; Both hands required; Walking (7 hours); Standing (over 7 hours); Kneeling (.5 hours); Repeated bending (7 hours); Both legs required; Ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously; Near vision correctable at 13"to 16" to Jaeger 1 to 4; Far vision correctable in one eye to 20/20 and to 20/40 in the other; Ability to distinguish basic colors; Ability to distinguish basic shades of colors; Hearing without aid; Mental and Emotional stability required.
- U.S. citizenship. Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
- The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6)
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
Grade Determinations: The following criteria must be met in determining the grade assignment of candidates, and if appropriate, the level within a grade:
- Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience; OR a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing (BSN) with no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Note:Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Reference: VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-6 Nurse Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.In describing your experience, please be clear and specific. We may not make assumptions regarding your experience.
Your application, résumé and/or supporting documentation will be verified. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect consideration for employment.
NOTE: Applicant's education and length of nursing practice (experience) will be considered by a Nurse Professional Standards Board in determining the grade and step of the applicant selected.
Experience as an RN will be evaluated to determine if the experience is of an acceptable level of quality with regard to the following four dimensions of nursing: Practice, Professional Development, Collaboration and Scientific Inquiry. Each dimension of practice has criteria that demonstrate essential core competencies for VHA Nursing Personnel. The criteria are as follows:
- Practice: practice, ethics and resource utilization;
- Professional Development: performance, education/career development;
- Collaboration; collaboration, collegiality;
- Scientific Inquiry: quality of care, research.
Background checks and security clearance
Agency contact information
AddressVHA Fayetteville AR VAMC Department of Veterans Affairs Human Resources 05 Fayetteville AR USA
PROwESS Resume Optimizer
Score, Target and Improve Your Resume For Any Federal JobThe most successful candidates tailor their resume to the job. Don't assume your resume has covered the job requirements. Our new tool uses artificial intelligence to score your resume, and provide task statements and word suggestions which will improve your resume.
Introducing Interactive Job Vacancy Announcements
We have pulled just the important line items from the Federal vacancy and put them all in one place. No more search all over to find the key items you need to address. Including importing the Occupational Questionnaire where available. Each scored, each searchable for concepts, keywords and related tasks that you might add to your resume to improve your score.
Key Features Include:
- Pop-up competency definitions
- Highlighted Keyword matches from your resume
- Line-item scoring resume vs job
- Suggestions for improved language
A Resume Editor with Keyword Suggestions
The most successful candidates tailor their resume to the job. Don't assume your resume has covered the job requirements. Be certain.
A Resume Editor That Comes Alive With Suggestions
Score Your Resume Against Each Job Line Item
The most successful candidate's tailor their resume to the job. Don't assume your resume has covered the job requirements. Be certain. Keyword matches will show up as green and your resume's overall match for the each item in the job description will be graded with up to 5 stars. Each line in the job description can be clicked revealing semantically related topics, flush with keyword suggestions that you might choose to include in your resume, and thousands of example job description statements that can show you the most effective ways to state your experience.
Find Great Content and Impactful Language
PROwESS subscribers will see concept definitions, related concepts, power keywords (nouns, verbs and adjectives related to the concept), and related task statements.
PROwESS is unique and affordable. Continuous and targeted resume improvement with a few clicks. Order now for as less than $6 per month.Order Now