Attorney - Advisor
Washington DC, DC
Department of Homeland Security
$66,510 to $145,629
GS 11 - 14
09/11/2017 to 06/08/2018
The selectee will serve as an Attorney-Advisor in the Office of the Chief Counsel. Typical work assignments include:
- Performing legal research and providing oral and written legal advice, counsel, and opinions in regard to the laws, regulations, court decisions, and other precedents bearing on the legal issues involving or impacting Secret Service protective, investigative, and administrative responsibilities.
- Representing the Secret Service in administrative hearings before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and the Merit Systems Protection Board.
- Drafting and reviewing legal documents including litigation reports, motions, briefs, charges, pleadings, discovery requests and responses, interrogatories, internal and external correspondence, legislative language, Department and Agency policy, memoranda and contractual agreements.
- Conducting training in various areas of the law impacting the Secret Service’s mission.
- Providing legal services relating to constitutional questions, criminal matters, fiscal issues, personnel law, asset forfeiture, cyber security matters, procurement, ethics, FTCA claims, garnishments, Equal Employment Opportunity issues, employee disciplinary matters, and Freedom of Information Act and Privacy Act appeals; providing legal services in the area of electronic surveillance laws and technology, and computer searches and seizures; and providing legal advice on privacy laws and constitutional protections as they pertain to criminal and protection related investigations.
Conditions of Employment
- U.S. citizenship is required.
Conditions of Employment If selected for this position, you will be required to:
- Obtain and maintain a top secret clearance. Completion of a single scope background investigation is required before appointment. For more information visit OPM Mythbuster Page.
- Submit to a drug test prior to your appointment and random drug testing while you occupy the position.
Qualifications Must Be Met:The qualification requirements listed above must be met by the closing date of this announcement.The Office of Personnel Management (OPM) must authorize employment offers made to current or former political appointees. If you are currently, or have been within the last 5 years, a political Schedule A, Schedule C, Non-career SES or Presidential Appointee employee in the Executive Branch, you must disclose this information to the Human Resources Office.
DHS uses E-Verify, an Internet-based system, to confirm the eligibility of all newly hired employees to work in the United States. Click here to learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities.
Mandatory Suitability Statement:If you receive a conditional offer of employment for this position, you will be required to complete an Optional Form 306, Declaration for Federal Employment, and to sign and certify the accuracy of all information in your application, prior to entry on duty. False statements on any part of the application may result in withdrawal of offer of employment, dismissal after beginning work, fine, or imprisonment.This position will require a credit check after initial job qualifications have been determined.Relocation expenses will not be authorized.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
This announcement is being filled using the Schedule A Hiring Authority 5 CFR 213.3102 (D) under Excepted Service procedures. Applicants who meet the qualifications for the position and submit a resume and law school transcript will be referred to the selecting official for further consideration. Veterans’ preference and traditional rating and ranking of applicants do not apply to the announcement. Upon review, your resume and supporting documents must show evidence that you have the required qualifications.
- As part of the interview process, you may be required to provide a legal writing sample and references, and a second interview may be conducted. These additional assessments will be considered in the selection process.
Interview Requirement:Interviews are required for this position. Failure to complete the interview may result in removal from further consideration.
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) Eligibles:If you have never worked for the Federal government, you are not ICTAP eligible. View information about ICTAP eligibility on OPM's Career Transition Resources website. To be considered well qualified under ICTAP, you must be placed in the Well-Qualified category for this position, as described above. In addition, you must submit the supporting documents listed under the required documents section of this announcement. To preview questions please click here.
Background checks and security clearance
Agency contact information
Talent & Emp Acq Mgmt Div
AddressUnited States Secret Service (DHS-USSS) Please read entire announcement Please apply online Washington DC US
PROwESS Resume Optimizer
Score, Target and Improve Your Resume For Any Federal JobThe most successful candidates tailor their resume to the job. Don't assume your resume has covered the job requirements. Our new tool uses artificial intelligence to score your resume, and provide task statements and word suggestions which will improve your resume.
Introducing Interactive Job Vacancy Announcements
We have pulled just the important line items from the Federal vacancy and put them all in one place. No more search all over to find the key items you need to address. Including importing the Occupational Questionnaire where available. Each scored, each searchable for concepts, keywords and related tasks that you might add to your resume to improve your score.
Key Features Include:
- Pop-up competency definitions
- Highlighted Keyword matches from your resume
- Line-item scoring resume vs job
- Suggestions for improved language
A Resume Editor with Keyword Suggestions
The most successful candidates tailor their resume to the job. Don't assume your resume has covered the job requirements. Be certain.
A Resume Editor That Comes Alive With Suggestions
Score Your Resume Against Each Job Line Item
The most successful candidate's tailor their resume to the job. Don't assume your resume has covered the job requirements. Be certain. Keyword matches will show up as green and your resume's overall match for the each item in the job description will be graded with up to 5 stars. Each line in the job description can be clicked revealing semantically related topics, flush with keyword suggestions that you might choose to include in your resume, and thousands of example job description statements that can show you the most effective ways to state your experience.
Find Great Content and Impactful Language
PROwESS subscribers will see concept definitions, related concepts, power keywords (nouns, verbs and adjectives related to the concept), and related task statements.
PROwESS is unique and affordable. Continuous and targeted resume improvement with a few clicks. Order now for as less than $6 per month.Order Now