Laborer, Wg - 3502 - 03 (Open To All U.S. Citizens) - Bp (Sr)
Department of Transportation
$21 to $24
09/11/2017 to 05/15/2018
As a Laborer, you will:
- Provide janitorial service to Corporation Buildings such as the following: sweeps, scrubs, mops, waxes, and polishes floors; dusts furniture and machinery; empties waste baskets and removes trash; cleans windows, walls, venetian blinds, and light fixtures of shops, offices, hallways, rooms, exits and entrances to buildings.
- Operate heavy duty floor maintenance equipment
- Make minor repairs to buildings and furnishings such as tightening screws, securing loose parts, etc.
- Assist other trades where work performed requires no journeyman level skill such as the following: stacks lumber and other heavy materials; blasts, scrapes and removes paint; digs ditches and trenches; grades and slopes topsoil and backfill materials; demolishes, fills and repairs asphalt and concrete surfaces; signals for traffic control and crane operations; loads and unloads heavy or bulky materials and equipment; moves and erects staging equipment; and keeps work sites neat and orderly.
Conditions of Employment
- You must be a U.S. Citizen.
- Submit application and resume online by 11:59 PM EST on the closing date.
- Review Required Documents Section as documents are required by closing date
- Job announcement may be used to fill similar positions within 60 days.
- Additional selections may be made from this announcement.
- Applicants will be referred when vacancies occur.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
SELECTIVE SERVICE:Males born after 12/31/1959 must be registered for the Selective Service.
- PHYSICAL EXAM REQUIRED: This position has strenuous physical requirements. You will be required to successfully complete a physical exam and a functional capacity test, at the expense of the Saint Lawrence Seaway, before being placed in the position. You may be assigned to duties requiring the use of a respirator. You will be fit tested for a respirator upon entering the position. You will be required to be clean-shaven for the initial fit-testing, and for any future assignments requiring the wearing of the respirator.
PRE-EMPLOYMENT BACKGROUND CHECK:You will be subject to a pre-employment and post-employment background investigation process which includes a fingerprint check.
DRIVER'S LICENSE REQUIREMENT:You must also be able to obtain and maintain a driver’s license.
PROBATIONARY PERIOD:You must complete a one-year probationary period.
- Ability to do the work of the position.
- Work Practices (Ability to work safely).
- Ability to Use and Maintain Tools and Equipment.
- Dexterity and Safety
- Ability To Interpret Instructions
Displaced employees may be eligible for ICTAP or CTAP priority consideration. For more information, please review the OPM Employee's Guide to Career Transition.
Continued Conditions of Employment:
Physical Effort for Essential Functions:May work in tiring or uncomfortable positions for long periods. Work requires frequent bending, reaching, stretching, climbing, and crouching. Sometimes performs strenuous work while standing, lying or sitting. Frequently lifts and carries items weighing up to 40 or 50 pounds, and often puts forth similar effort in pushing, pulling, turning and positioning parts, assemblies, equipment, and tools. Often lifts and moves heavier items with the assistance of other workers and with lifting devices.
Working Conditions:Works both inside and outside. When inside, is frequently exposed to drafts, changing temperatures, and noise which is difficult to talk above. When outside, may sometimes work in bad weather, in mud or snow and in wet or icy areas. Both inside and outside, is frequently exposed to irritation or discomfort from dust, heat, fumes, and from hard, damp floors or ground. Typically works on parts and systems which are dirty, oily, or greasy. Works from ladders, staging, man baskets, and rafts on/over water.Is frequently exposed to the possibility of receiving cuts, burns, bruises, and sprains while repairing, positioning, and moving equipment. Is often exposed to the possibility of receiving burns and skin irritations from acid, fluids, and lubricants.To reduce the dangers and irritations from the above conditions, follows prescribed safety practices and uses safety equipment such as protective ear devices, hard hats, safety-toe shoes, respirators, fall protection, personal floatation devices, and protective clothing. Some of these safety items may be uncomfortable to wear or use, and may be worn or used for long periods.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE: PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE WILL NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE.If your resume/ application does not support your questionnaire answers, we will not allow credit for your response(s). Your resume must contain sufficiently detailed information upon which to make a qualification determination. Please ensure that your resume contains specific information such as position titles, beginning and ending dates of employment for each position, average number of hours worked per week, and if the position is/was in the Federal government, you should provide the position series and grade level. If you meet the qualification requirements, your application will be placed in one of two categories: Highly Qualified and Qualified which is based upon your responses to the vacancy questions.Within these categories, applicants eligible for veteran's preference that have provided supporting documents will receive selection priority over non-veterans. The top rated applications will be reviewed for the quality of your experience, education and training relevant to the position.If your resume does not support the specialized experience or if your application does not support your answers to the Vacancy Specific Questions, your final rating may be modified and/or you may be disqualified from consideration. To preview questions please click here.
Background checks and security clearance
Agency contact information
Automated Staffing Office
AddressDOT, SAINT LAWRENCE SEAWAY DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION Submit Application and Documents Online 1200 New Jersey Ave SE / HAHR - 50 Washington District of Columbia United States
PROwESS Resume Optimizer
Score, Target and Improve Your Resume For Any Federal JobThe most successful candidates tailor their resume to the job. Don't assume your resume has covered the job requirements. Our new tool uses artificial intelligence to score your resume, and provide task statements and word suggestions which will improve your resume.
Introducing Interactive Job Vacancy Announcements
We have pulled just the important line items from the Federal vacancy and put them all in one place. No more search all over to find the key items you need to address. Including importing the Occupational Questionnaire where available. Each scored, each searchable for concepts, keywords and related tasks that you might add to your resume to improve your score.
Key Features Include:
- Pop-up competency definitions
- Highlighted Keyword matches from your resume
- Line-item scoring resume vs job
- Suggestions for improved language
A Resume Editor with Keyword Suggestions
The most successful candidates tailor their resume to the job. Don't assume your resume has covered the job requirements. Be certain.
A Resume Editor That Comes Alive With Suggestions
Score Your Resume Against Each Job Line Item
The most successful candidate's tailor their resume to the job. Don't assume your resume has covered the job requirements. Be certain. Keyword matches will show up as green and your resume's overall match for the each item in the job description will be graded with up to 5 stars. Each line in the job description can be clicked revealing semantically related topics, flush with keyword suggestions that you might choose to include in your resume, and thousands of example job description statements that can show you the most effective ways to state your experience.
Find Great Content and Impactful Language
PROwESS subscribers will see concept definitions, related concepts, power keywords (nouns, verbs and adjectives related to the concept), and related task statements.
PROwESS is unique and affordable. Continuous and targeted resume improvement with a few clicks. Order now for as less than $6 per month.Order Now