Law Enforcement Specialist (Instructor)
Department of Homeland Security
$85,816 to $123,234
10/04/2017 to 04/02/2018
Law Enforcement Specialists are directly responsible for providing the high-quality training offered at the FLETC. Typical assignments may include:
- Conducting basic and advanced law enforcement training classes.
- Planning, coordinating, and executing field training and lab exercises.
- Administering class curricula.
- Monitoring the progress of students.
- Recommending and executing remedial and corrective action for students.
- Participating in the development of course materials.
- Conducting research on emerging law enforcement technologies, practices, and techniques.
Conditions of Employment
- You must be a U.S. citizen to apply for this position.
- You must successfully pass a background investigation.
- You will be required to undergo initial and periodic drug testing.
- You must be able to meet job-related medical and/or fitness standards.
- Financial disclosure may be required.
Note:Secondary Administrative Law Enforcement Officer (LEO) Retirement Coverage is offered for most of the positions advertised. If selected, you will be offered LEO retirement coverage if approval is available from DHS at the time of the official offer.
Transfer Requirement for CSRS:To be eligible for secondary coverage, an employee must:
- Transfer without a break in service exceeding 3 days directly from a primary position to a secondary position; AND
- Be continuously employed in a secondary position since moving from a primary position; except a break in employment in secondary positions that begins with an involuntary separation (not for cause) and/or voluntary breaks in service that began prior to January 20, 1988.
Transfer Requirement for FERS:To be eligible for secondary coverage, an employee must:
- Transfer without a break in service exceeding 3 days directly from a primary position to a secondaryposition; AND
- Have completed 3 years of service in a primary position, including any such service during which no FERS deductions were withheld; AND
- Be continuously employed in a secondary position since moving from a primary position; except a break in employment in secondary positions that begins with an involuntary separation (not for cause).
SELECTIVE PLACEMENT FACTOR:In order to be considered for these positions you must:
How to Apply
If this is your first time applying for a Federal job, then you will need to create an account. Otherwise, follow the steps below.
DHS uses E-Verify, an Internet-based system, to confirm the eligibility of all newly hired employees to work in the United States. Learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities.To ensure the accomplishment of our mission, DHS requires every employee to be reliable and trustworthy. To meet those standards, all selected applicants must undergo and successfully pass a background investigation for suitability, Secret, Top Secret, or Top Secret/SCI as a condition of placement into these positions. This will include a credit check after a tentative job offer is given, a review of financial issues such as delinquency in the payment of debts, child support and/or tax obligations, as well as certain criminal offenses and illegal use or possession of drugs. Continued employment is contingent upon favorable adjudication of periodic reinvestigations.Veterans, Peace Corps/VISTA volunteers, and persons with disabilities possess a wealth of unique talents, experiences, and competencies that can be invaluable to the DHS mission. To determine your eligibility and to understand the documentation that would be required with your application, click on the links above.Physical Demands: There are a range of physical demands depending on the program/course presented. Some courses are confined to a classroom setting while others are outdoors requiring walking, standing, bending, sitting, lying down, or crouching in positions that may be tiring or uncomfortable. There may be the need to carry gear and packages. Travel to field locations to coordinate training activities may be involved.
Physical Demands for Physical Techniques Instructors:The work requires repetitive long distance running (1 to 3 miles several times daily), repetitive calisthenics, lifting moderate to heavy weights, and considerable physical exertion during the demonstration, instruction and active participation in other physical fitness related activities which include: warm-ups which involve multiple sets of calisthenics and flexibility exercises; strength training requiring full range of motion in all joints; cardiovascular training with the ability to perform a variety of cardiovascular training modes; calisthenics enabling you to perform calisthenics sessions for 30-45 minutes continuously and repetitively; and anaerobic training with the ability to perform sprints of various distances varying 30 feet to 440 yards.Work Environment: The normal work place is a classroom or office, and inside/outside physical exercise areas. Duties may require exposure to varying climate and environmental conditions including both cold and warm weather conditions and/or exposure to high levels of noise and dangerous substances. Appropriate safety practices will be utilized at all times. Safety gear, such as hearing, eye protection, and padding, may be used when needed.Some positions are subject to the requirements of the Lautenberg Act, which prohibits the appointment of persons convicted of state or federal misdemeanor crimes of domestic violence into positions requiring the handling or possession of firearms or ammunition.All employees are required to participate in the Direct Deposit/Electronic Funds Transfer for salary payments.
Agency contact information
AddressFLETC Please apply on-line Glynco Georgia United States
PROwESS Resume Optimizer
Score, Target and Improve Your Resume For Any Federal JobThe most successful candidates tailor their resume to the job. Don't assume your resume has covered the job requirements. Our new tool uses artificial intelligence to score your resume, and provide task statements and word suggestions which will improve your resume.
Introducing Interactive Job Vacancy Announcements
We have pulled just the important line items from the Federal vacancy and put them all in one place. No more search all over to find the key items you need to address. Including importing the Occupational Questionnaire where available. Each scored, each searchable for concepts, keywords and related tasks that you might add to your resume to improve your score.
Key Features Include:
- Pop-up competency definitions
- Highlighted Keyword matches from your resume
- Line-item scoring resume vs job
- Suggestions for improved language
A Resume Editor with Keyword Suggestions
The most successful candidates tailor their resume to the job. Don't assume your resume has covered the job requirements. Be certain.
A Resume Editor That Comes Alive With Suggestions
Score Your Resume Against Each Job Line Item
The most successful candidate's tailor their resume to the job. Don't assume your resume has covered the job requirements. Be certain. Keyword matches will show up as green and your resume's overall match for the each item in the job description will be graded with up to 5 stars. Each line in the job description can be clicked revealing semantically related topics, flush with keyword suggestions that you might choose to include in your resume, and thousands of example job description statements that can show you the most effective ways to state your experience.
Find Great Content and Impactful Language
PROwESS subscribers will see concept definitions, related concepts, power keywords (nouns, verbs and adjectives related to the concept), and related task statements.
PROwESS is unique and affordable. Continuous and targeted resume improvement with a few clicks. Order now for as less than $6 per month.Order Now