Medical Instrument Technician (Echocardiography)
Veterans Health Administration
Department of Veterans Affairs
$53,597 to $69,672
05/08/2017 to 04/25/2018
This position is located in the Alaska VA/DoD Joint Venture on Joint Venture Elmendorf-Richardson. Overall supervision is under the direction of the Cardio-Pulmonary Flight Commander and the VA supervising authority. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to the following:
- Examine patients using a variety of ultrasound modalities on clinical protocols in order to determine cardiac status.
- Prepare preliminary diagnostic evaluation for review by staff physicians and house staff, review, revise and file final reports.
- Independently make standard examination.
- Produce diagnostic quality images and Doppler frequency shift recordings using M-mode, two-dimensional, pulsed and continuous wave Doppler spectral display, and colorflow Doppler imaging.
- Perform complex procedures such as cardiac studies of the four chambers of the heart and valves using sector scanning techniques to detect stenotic and incompetent valves, chamber enlargement, and pericardial effusion and cardiovascular surgeries deriving pressure gradients across obstructed valves, etc.
- Identify and record anomalies indicative of disease, injury, or other medically significant conditions using ultrasound imaging and simultaneous Doppler techniques.
- Perform complementary ultrasonic examinations (including noninvasive) transthoracic, Bubble studies and contrast echocardiography, (invasive) stress echocardiography, and transesophageal echocardiography.
- Adapt transducer positioning, instrument controls, and examination techniques to the individual patient being studied and the problem being evaluated including recognizing pertinent abnormalities and documenting abnormal findings.
- Schedule all echocardiographic examinations which include screening and prioritizing echocardiogram requests based on clinical information provided by the referring physician.
- Train cardiology fellows in echocardiographic technique and assist in teaching them echocardiographic interpretation.
- Run all aspects of the echocardiography lab including ordering supplies and maintaining equipment, including maintenance of TEE probe.
- Participate in the selection of new equipment and oversee the installation of new equipment modifications.
- Provide training and supervision in more complex examination and treatment procedures and techniques.
- Evaluate and initiate performance improvement projects, and write policies, procedures and protocols that pertain to diagnostic ultrasonography.
- May be required to perform vascular ultrasound examinations as required.
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. May be required to be available on-call. Protracted or irregular hours of work.
Functional Statement Title/#: Medical Instrument Technician (Echocardiography) 000000
- Must pass pre-employment examination
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English
- Designated and-or Random Drug Testing required
- Background and-or Security Investigation required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- U.S. citizenship.
- Pre-employment physical examination in accordance with VA Directive and Handbook 5019.
English Language - Proficient in spoken and written English.
Preferred Experience: Licensure or Certification is strongly desirable, i.e. Cardiovascular Credentialing International (CCI), Registered Cardiac Sonographer (RCS) or by the American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonographers (ARDMS) as a Registered Diagnostic Cardiac Sonographer (RDCS). Basic and Advanced Cardiac Life Support certification. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Experience: In addition, these core competencies must already be met at the GS-8 level: experience which provided the overall knowledge, skills, and abilities to conduct diagnostic echocardiography examinations in complex and unusual cases; must demonstrate the following KSAs: 1) Ability to produce diagnostic quality images and Doppler frequency shift recordings using M-mode, two-dimensional, pulsed and continuous wave Doppler spectral display, and colorflow Doppler imaging. 2) Knowledge of normal echocardiographic findings and deviations produced by a wide variety of cardiovascular diseases. 3) Ability to perform complex procedures such as cardiac studies of the four chambers of the heart and valves using sector scanning techniques to detect stenotic and incompetent valves, chamber enlargement, and pericardial effusion and cardiovascular studies deriving pressure gradients across obstructed valves, etc. 4) Ability to perform complementary ultrasonic examinations (including noninvasive) transthoracic, Bubble studies and contrast echocardiography, (invasive) stress echocardiography, and transesophageal echocardiography. 5) Ability to adapt transducer positioning, instrument controls, and examination techniques to the individual patient being studied and the problem being evaluated including recognizing pertinent abnormalities and documenting abnormal findings.
GS-9: One year (1) of experience comparable to the next lower grade level (GS-8, see above experience and core competencies), which is directly related to the duties of the position to be filled, and must fully meet the KSAs at that level. This would be experience which demonstrates possession of the knowledge required in order to provide all aspects of echocardiography services.
In addition, the candidate must demonstrate the following technical KSAs: 1) Knowledge of the more complex examination and treatment procedures and techniques in order to provide training and supervision in these procedures, to evaluate and initiate performance improvement projects, and to write policies, procedures, and protocols, that pertain to Echocardiography. 2) Ability to communicate effectively and professionally with employees at varying grade levels.
The potential to acquire the assignment this KSA: 1) Knowledge of JCAHO and other regulatory requirements.
Assignment: Duties must consist of significant scope, complexity (difficulty), and range of variety, and be performed by the incumbent at least 25% of the time.
Special Assignments: The Professional Standards Board will review the proposed non-supervisory special assignment and make a determination regarding appropriateness. References: VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G27.
Note:Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
Physical Requirements: Heavy lifting, 45 lbs and over; Heavy carrying, 45 lbs and over; Use of fingers; Both hands required; Walking (4 hours); Standing (4 hours); Near vision correctable at 13" and 16" to Jaeger 1 to 4; Hearing (aid permitted); Working closely with others; Protracted or irregular hours of work.
How to Apply
How You Will Be Evaluated
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE MAY NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE.
Your application, résumé and/or supporting documentation will be verified. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect consideration for employment.
NOTE: The Professional Standards Board (a peer-review group) will review the selected candidate?s education and experience and recommend the grade and salary at which the candidate will be placed. For internal selectees eligible for promotion, the board will determine grade and HR will determine step in accordance with policy.
Department of Veterans Affairs
Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
AddressVHA Alaska HCS Department of Veteran Affairs HRMS Anchorage AK
PROwESS Resume Optimizer
Score, Target and Improve Your Resume For Any Federal JobThe most successful candidates tailor their resume to the job. Don't assume your resume has covered the job requirements. Our new tool uses artificial intelligence to score your resume, and provide task statements and word suggestions which will improve your resume.
Introducing Interactive Job Vacancy Announcements
We have pulled just the important line items from the Federal vacancy and put them all in one place. No more search all over to find the key items you need to address. Including importing the Occupational Questionnaire where available. Each scored, each searchable for concepts, keywords and related tasks that you might add to your resume to improve your score.
Key Features Include:
- Pop-up competency definitions
- Highlighted Keyword matches from your resume
- Line-item scoring resume vs job
- Suggestions for improved language
A Resume Editor with Keyword Suggestions
The most successful candidates tailor their resume to the job. Don't assume your resume has covered the job requirements. Be certain.
A Resume Editor That Comes Alive With Suggestions
Score Your Resume Against Each Job Line Item
The most successful candidate's tailor their resume to the job. Don't assume your resume has covered the job requirements. Be certain. Keyword matches will show up as green and your resume's overall match for the each item in the job description will be graded with up to 5 stars. Each line in the job description can be clicked revealing semantically related topics, flush with keyword suggestions that you might choose to include in your resume, and thousands of example job description statements that can show you the most effective ways to state your experience.
Find Great Content and Impactful Language
PROwESS subscribers will see concept definitions, related concepts, power keywords (nouns, verbs and adjectives related to the concept), and related task statements.
PROwESS is unique and affordable. Continuous and targeted resume improvement with a few clicks. Order now for as less than $6 per month.Order Now