Veterans Health Administration
Department of Veterans Affairs
$53,302 to $69,289
02/13/2017 to 02/12/2018
This vacancy announcement is for a Medical Technologist position with the Pathology and Laboratory Service of the VA Eastern Kansas Health Care System and will be stationed at the Leavenworth Campus. In this role, you serve as a medical technologist working primarily in one of the major sections of the clinical laboratory with responsibility for performing procedures in the areas of (Chemistry, Hematology/Coagulation, Urinalysis, Immunohematology (Blood Banking), and limited/or comprehensive Microbiology). The generalist will perform as an experience phlebotomist and must have a good working knowledge of every section within the clinical laboratory.
- Selects, performs, evaluates and monitors the performance of test procedures using manual and/or instrumental techniques in accordance with established protocols.
- Evaluates the suitability of the specimen for analysis, requesting new specimen if determined to be unusable.
- Prepares specimens for analysis, ensuring that the physiologic state of the specimen properties is maintained.
- Conducts quality control procedures on equipment, reagents and products and maintains proper records for quality control reports.
- Calibrates, standardizes, adjusts and maintains instruments.
- Evaluates the validity of data in relation to the test system and accepted assay procedures.
- Correlates quantitative data with patient data (i.e. history, medications) to verify results.
- Responsible for maintaining the laboratory for CAP inspection readiness at all times.
- Responsible for a working knowledge of the established safety standards in order to maintain compliance and assure protections from injury and biological hazards.
Work Schedule: All shifts to include days, evenings and nights with rotating holidays.
Functional Statement Title/#: Medical Technologist, GS-644
- Must pass pre-employment examination
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English
- Designated and-or Random Drug Testing required
- Background and-or Security Investigation required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
- U.S. citizenship. Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- English Language Proficiency: Medical Technologists must be proficient in spoken and written English.
- Education and/or Experience Combination: In order to meet the minimum qualifications for this position, you must possess:
- Foreign Graduates: Graduates of baccalaureate programs meet the educational and/or experience requirements if the degree is found to be equivalent to degree programs recognized by the NAACLS or clinical laboratory experience as described above. This finding may be based on either of the following:
- Certification: All candidates must currently possess the appropriate certification as an MT, MLS, or CLS given by the ASCP-BOC, ASCP-BOR, and AMT: OR
- Must currently possess the categorical or specialist technologist level certification from the certification agencies listed above, such as, but not limited to, chemistry (C/SC), hematology (H/SH), microbiology (M/SM), molecular biology (MB/SMB) and blood bank (BB/SBB). **You must provide updated copies of all certification with your application package.
- Non-certified applicants who otherwise meet the eligibility requirements for certification may be given a temporary appointment up to the full performance level not to exceed one year as a graduate medical technologist under the authority of 38 U.S.C 7405(c)(2)(B). This appointment may not be extended. Failure to become certified within one year from date of appointment will result in removal from the GS-0644 MT Series.
Preferred Experience: Registered Medical Technologist with 4 year degree and MT (ASCP); competent to work in all sections of the lab to include blood bank; experienced phlebotomist; experience with computer equipment and software; knowledge of the following regulations: College of American Pathology, Joint Commission, AABB, FDA, OSHA, safety and infection control.Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.Grade Determinations:
Specialized Experience: Must have 1 year creditable experience equivalent to the next lower grade level, which is directly related to the position to be filled. In addition to the experience, the candidate must demonstrate the following knowledge, skills and abilities (KSA's)
References: VA Handbook 5005/72, Part II, Appendix G24, dated May 12, 2014. For additional information, refer to the Qualification Standards.
Note:Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
Physical Requirements: [Insert a detailed statement regarding the physical requirements for this position in accordance with HRML No. 05-12-02, Employment of People with Disabilities, Including Under Schedule A, 5 CFR 213.3102(u)]
How to Apply
How You Will Be Evaluated
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE MAY NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE.
Your application, résumé and/or supporting documentation will be verified. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect consideration for employment.
NOTE: The Professional Standards Board (a peer-review group) will review the selected candidate?s education and experience and recommend the grade and salary at which the candidate will be placed. For internal selectees eligible for promotion, the board will determine grade and HR will determine step in accordance with policy.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
All applicants are required to submit the following supporting document type(s):
Applicants may also submit the following supporting document type(s),which may not be required for all applicants:
·Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs)
·Other Veterans Document
[Remove this statement if you are NOT requiring this form at the time of application:] VA Form 10-2850c - Application for Associated Health Occupations ( required). Available at the VA Forms website: http://www.va.gov/vaforms/search_action.asp?FormNo=10-2850&tkey=&Action=Search.
Please use this checklist to make sure you have included other documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), documentation to support Veterans Preference claims, etc. You will not be contacted for additional information.
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference for 5pt (TP), or 10pt (CP/CPS, XPP, XP), or for Sole Survivor Preference (SSP), on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section(s) provided. A legible copy of your DD214(s) indicating character of service, disability certification, SF-15 (if claiming 10 pt. preference) or if you are currently serving on active duty and expected to be released or discharged within 120 days; documentation related to your active duty service which reflects the dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), or dates of impending separation. Documentation is required for eligibility verification.
Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents: You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application. If you are unable to apply online or unable to upload your supporting documents to your online application, follow the directions located at the following site: Fax Options. The Vacancy ID of the job opportunity announcement is 1851870.
NOTE: If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203-FX) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
Department Of Veterans Affairs
Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
AddressVHA Eastern Kansas HCS 2200 Southwest Gage Boulevard Topeka KS
PROwESS Resume Optimizer
Score, Target and Improve Your Resume For Any Federal JobThe most successful candidates tailor their resume to the job. Don't assume your resume has covered the job requirements. Our new tool uses artificial intelligence to score your resume, and provide task statements and word suggestions which will improve your resume.
Introducing Interactive Job Vacancy Announcements
We have pulled just the important line items from the Federal vacancy and put them all in one place. No more search all over to find the key items you need to address. Including importing the Occupational Questionnaire where available. Each scored, each searchable for concepts, keywords and related tasks that you might add to your resume to improve your score.
Key Features Include:
- Pop-up competency definitions
- Highlighted Keyword matches from your resume
- Line-item scoring resume vs job
- Suggestions for improved language
A Resume Editor with Keyword Suggestions
The most successful candidates tailor their resume to the job. Don't assume your resume has covered the job requirements. Be certain.
A Resume Editor That Comes Alive With Suggestions
Score Your Resume Against Each Job Line Item
The most successful candidate's tailor their resume to the job. Don't assume your resume has covered the job requirements. Be certain. Keyword matches will show up as green and your resume's overall match for the each item in the job description will be graded with up to 5 stars. Each line in the job description can be clicked revealing semantically related topics, flush with keyword suggestions that you might choose to include in your resume, and thousands of example job description statements that can show you the most effective ways to state your experience.
Find Great Content and Impactful Language
PROwESS subscribers will see concept definitions, related concepts, power keywords (nouns, verbs and adjectives related to the concept), and related task statements.
PROwESS is unique and affordable. Continuous and targeted resume improvement with a few clicks. Order now for as less than $6 per month.Order Now