Veterans Health Administration
Department of Veterans Affairs
$101,967 to $264,000
05/29/2017 to 04/13/2018
The Physician (Hospitalist) position is located at the 673rd Medical Group VA/DoD Joint Venture Medical Treatment Facility (JVMTF), Joint Base Elmendorf/Fort Richardson (JBER). The DoD/VA Joint Venture Hospital serves the health needs of Alaskan DoD and Veterans Affairs (VA) beneficiaries through TRICARE, DoD/VA Joint Venture, and the Alaska Federal Health Care Partnership. The Physician (Hospitalist) is accountable to the Associate Chief Nurse for Joint Venture and clinical oversight by the Chief of Staff at the Alaska VA Healthcare System (AVAHS), Anchorage, Alaska and SGH, 673rd Medical Group, JBER. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Independent care provider who is highly skilled in the management of patient's primary care needs or subspecialty evaluation and treatment.
- Evaluation, care and disposition of patients, ordering appropriate diagnostic tests, determine need for hospitalization at the VA/DoD Joint Venture hospital, or transferring the patient to another facility.
- Some duties may be required at the VA Outpatient Clinic.
- Provide age-specific care for young adult (18-39 years), middle adult (40-64 years), older adult (65-74 years) and geriatric (over 75 years).
- Provide effective education to patients, family, students, post-graduates and co-workers as appropriate.
- Identify quality improvement (QI) issues and participate in QI monitoring and in evaluation of clinical practice.
- Utilize QI findings to improve quality of care, and provide leadership in adhering to and promoting practice based on current standards of clinical practice.
- Practice, promote and implement current safety policies and procedures.
- Assess safety needs of patients and implements opportunities to improve environmental and operational safety.
- Support safety, occupational health, and fire protection programs for VA and the DoD by the application of approved standards, regulations, practices and work methods.
- Use both VA and DoD systems including but not limited to: VA and DoD Network Access; VA Vista and CPRS (Computerized Patient Reporting System); DoD ALHTA; DoD CHCS (Composite Healthcare System); Do D Essentris; JLV (Joint Legacy Viewer); DoD Learning Management Systems; VA TMS (Talent Management System).
- Provide a full range of staff physician services for inpatient beneficiaries including initiating orders for lab work and X-rays, prescribing medications and consulting with specialist and sub-specialists form the staff.
- Work with other specialists and primary care physicians.
- Support the inpatient service at JBER JV Hospital covering the intensive care unit and medical ward, and doing internal medicine consultations and inpatient/outpatient procedures.
Work Schedule: Fulltime: 15 rotating shifts per month including nights, weekends, and holidays as necessary at discretion of management. Maximum of 160 scheduled hours of 2 pay periods. 7/8 Part Time schedule covering up to 15 shifts per month and includes various shifts such as nights, weekends, and holidays.
Functional Statement Title/#: Physician (Hospitalist)/000000.
- Must pass pre-employment examination.
- Designated and/or Random Drug Testing required.
- Background and/or Security Investigation required.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English.
- Citizenship of the United States.
- Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine. The degree must have been obtained from one of the schools approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the year in which the course of study was completed.
- Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
- Completion of a first-year residency, or its equivalent, approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the year in which it was completed.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English.
- Physical requirements outlined below.
Preferred Experience: Board Certified or Board Eligible in Internal Medicine, Pulmonary, or Critical Care. ACLS/BLS preferred. ACLS/BLS will be required prior to appointment.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Reference: VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-2 Physician Qualification Standard.
:Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
Physical Requirements: Moderate lifting (15-44 lbs); Moderate carrying (15-44 lbs); Straight pulling (1 hour); Pulling hand over hand (1 hour); Use of fingers; Both hands required; Walking (4 hours); Standing (4 hours); Repeated bending (4 hours); Both legs required; Ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously; near vision correctable at 13" to 16" to Jaeger 1 to 4; Far vision correctable in one eye to 20/20 and to 20/40 in the other; Both eyes required; Depth perception; Ability to distinguish basic colors; Ability to distinguish shades of color; Hearing (aid permitted); Emotional/mental stability.
May be subject to exposure to blood borne pathogens and other potentially infectious materials.
How to Apply
All applicants are encouraged to apply online but may apply via Fax (instructions are below). You may also express your interest, obtain additional information about the position, or seek application assistance by emailing your C.V. to Henry.Laguatan@va.gov; Professional Recruiter.
To apply for this position, you must complete the View Occupational Questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below.
The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on Friday, April 13, 2018 to received consideration.
1.To begin, click Apply Online to create a USAJOBS account or log in to your existing account. Follow the prompts to select your USAJOBS resume and/or other supporting documents and complete the occupational questionnaire.
2.Click Submit My Answers to submit your application package.
NOTE: It is your responsibility to ensure your responses and appropriate documentation is submitted prior to the closing date.
To verify your application is complete, log into your USAJOBS account, https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login, select the Application Status link and then select the more information link for this position. The Details page will display the status of your application, the documentation received and processed, and any correspondence the agency has sent related to this application. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process. To return to an incomplete application, log into your USAJOBS account and click Update Application in the vacancy announcement. You must re-select your resume and/or other documents from your USAJOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
How You Will Be Evaluated
Your application, résumé, C.V., and/or supporting documentation will be reviewed. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect consideration for employment.
In describing your experience, please be clear and specific. We may not make assumptions regarding your experience.
NOTE: Applicant's education and experience will be reviewed by a Professional Standards Board and Compensation Panel in determining the grade and salary of the applicant selected. The recommended salary may be at any point in the range listed for this vacancy.
Department of Veterans Affairs
Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
AddressVHA Alaska HCS Department of Veteran Affairs HRMS Anchorage AK
PROwESS Resume Optimizer
Score, Target and Improve Your Resume For Any Federal JobThe most successful candidates tailor their resume to the job. Don't assume your resume has covered the job requirements. Our new tool uses artificial intelligence to score your resume, and provide task statements and word suggestions which will improve your resume.
Introducing Interactive Job Vacancy Announcements
We have pulled just the important line items from the Federal vacancy and put them all in one place. No more search all over to find the key items you need to address. Including importing the Occupational Questionnaire where available. Each scored, each searchable for concepts, keywords and related tasks that you might add to your resume to improve your score.
Key Features Include:
- Pop-up competency definitions
- Highlighted Keyword matches from your resume
- Line-item scoring resume vs job
- Suggestions for improved language
A Resume Editor with Keyword Suggestions
The most successful candidates tailor their resume to the job. Don't assume your resume has covered the job requirements. Be certain.
A Resume Editor That Comes Alive With Suggestions
Score Your Resume Against Each Job Line Item
The most successful candidate's tailor their resume to the job. Don't assume your resume has covered the job requirements. Be certain. Keyword matches will show up as green and your resume's overall match for the each item in the job description will be graded with up to 5 stars. Each line in the job description can be clicked revealing semantically related topics, flush with keyword suggestions that you might choose to include in your resume, and thousands of example job description statements that can show you the most effective ways to state your experience.
Find Great Content and Impactful Language
PROwESS subscribers will see concept definitions, related concepts, power keywords (nouns, verbs and adjectives related to the concept), and related task statements.
PROwESS is unique and affordable. Continuous and targeted resume improvement with a few clicks. Order now for as less than $6 per month.Order Now