Veterans Health Administration
Department of Veterans Affairs
$148,950 to $161,900
08/08/2017 to 08/07/2018
A full list of duties is listed in the questionnaire portion of this announcement. Here are some of the duties:
- Provides diagnostic radiological medical physics support to various services/sections and the RSO regarding using radiation in the diagnosis and treatment of disease
- Provides radiological physics education at the post graduate level of instruction
- Provides technical consultation and maintains compliance with regulations
- Serves as administrator coordinator for various surveys and inspections of the radiation producing equipment.
- Establishes and manages radiation protection program and quality assurance program for diagnostic imaging equipment, magnetic resonance imaging and angiography, mammography, fluoroscopy and cardiac catheterization
- Develops, oversees and analyzes technologists' quality control testing of radiation producing, detecting and measuring equipment
- Designs, monitors and continually revaluates the equipment quality control program for the Medical Center
- Delivers presentations at meetings and serves on various boards and organizations as betting the academic community
- Serves as a member of various committees and workgroups for facilities located throughout VISN 6
- Performs work on a national level in conjunction with the NHHP
- Maintains equipment system documentation
- Reviews quality control parameters and monitors the maintenance of PACS and other devices, and patient exposure to radiation
- Provides demonstrations of proper radiation safety
- Serves on medical center's CT protocol committee and other working groups
- Checks equipment for maintenance and replacement of parts
- Monitors patient radiation doses
- Certifies the design and/or modification of all diagnostic X-Ray equipment and performs quarterly, semi-annual quality checks of diagnostic machines
- Provides written documentation summarizing activities that had been performed and develops procurement specifications
- Designs a periodic equipment quality control program
- Provides consultative services/support regarding radiation and medical physics
- Coordinates and consults on policies and/or operating instructions procedures pertaining to radiation and radioactive material
- Directs research and development programs at the Medical Center for the physical aspects of radiation and designs research protocols related to imaging
- Advises patients on the radiation risks associated with studies or procedures.
Work Schedule: Various tours of duty are available and may include either day, evening, or nights; to include weekends and holidays. Management reserves the right to determine and/or change tour of duty.
Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) Status: Exempt
Supervisory Position: No
Position Title: Physicist, GS-0601-14/PD 029280
Bargaining Unit Position: Yes
Relocation/Recruitment Incentives:Yes, a recruitment incentive is authorized and a relocation may be authorized in accordance with agency policy
- Must pass pre-employment examination
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English
- Designated and-or Random Drug Testing required
- Background and-or Security Investigation required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
U.S. Citizenship: Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
English Language Proficiency: Candidates must be proficient in written and spoken English
Education: Completion of a master's degree or higher in a physics, science or engineering discipline, recognized by an accredited college or university, with at least 30 semester hours in medical physics, health physics, radiological science, physics, engineering chemistry, or biology; or an equivalent foreign degree and course work substantiated by the National Association of Credential Evaluation ServicesBoard Certification: A certification by the American Board of Radiology (ABR) in Diagnostic Radiological Physics OR a certification in Radiological Physics by the American Board of Health Physics (ABHP) in Comprehensive Health Physics is preferred.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Services programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
(a) Experience. In addition to the basic requirements, completion of a minimum of 1 year of progressively complex experience equivalent to the next lower grade.
(b) Assignments. For all assignments above the full performance level, the higher-level duties must consist of significant scope, complexity (difficulty), and range of variety, and be performed by the incumbent at least 25% of the time. Employees at this level who are not supervisors are able to carry out assigned tasks independently in all areas of radiation therapy requiring TMP competencies which substantially exceed the full performance level and require advanced knowledge in all areas of radiation therapy. Regardless of the nature of the specific assignment, the work must be of sufficient scope and complexity to meet the knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform at this grade level.
(c) Demonstrated Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities. In addition to the experience above, the candidate must demonstrate the knowledge skills and abilities listed in the announcement questionnaire.
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
Physical Requirements: Work is primarily sedentary. All applicants must be physically and mentally able to perform efficiently the duties of the position.
How to Apply
All applicants are encouraged to apply online.
To apply for this position, you must complete the View Occupational Questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below.
The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on Friday, September 29, 2017 to receive consideration.
1. To begin, click Apply Online to create a USAJOBS account or log in to your existing account. Follow the prompts to select your USAJOBS resume and/or other supporting documents and complete the occupational questionnaire.
2. Click Submit My Answers to submit your application package.
NOTE: It is your responsibility to ensure your responses and appropriate documentation is submitted prior to the closing date.
To verify your application is complete, log into your USAJOBS account, https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login, select the Application Status link and then select the more information link for this position. The Details page will display the status of your application, the documentation received and processed, and any correspondence the agency has sent related to this application. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
To return to an incomplete application, log into your USAJOBS account and click Update Application in the vacancy announcement. You must re-select your resume and/or other documents from your USAJOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
How You Will Be Evaluated
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE MAY NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE.
Your application, résumé and/or supporting documentation will be verified. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect consideration for employment.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
PLEASE ENSURE THAT THE REQUIRED DOCUMENTS ARE UPLOADED OR FAXED.
1. CV or Resume (providing month and year for start and end dates on work experience and indicate full-time or part-time on work experience).
2. Transcripts (if applicable)
3. Evidence of Board Certification
4. Most Recent SF-50 - Notification of Personnel Action (required) that shows your current title, series, grade and tenure (not an awards SF-50) - current and former Federal Employees
5. Veterans Documentation. If you are a veteran please include member copy 4 of your DD-214 showing the type of discharge received.
6.. Veteran with Preference: If you are a veteran with preference please include a letter from the Deparment of Veterans Affairs showing the percentage of disability.
7.. Other people who are eligible: If you are Schedule A eligible or eligible under any other authority, please include documentation.
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference for 5pt (TP), or 10pt (CP/CPS, XPP, XP), or for Sole Survivor Preference (SSP), on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section(s) provided. A legible copy of your DD214(s) indicating character of service, disability certification, SF-15 (if claiming 10 pt. preference) or if you are currently serving on active duty and expected to be released or discharged within 120 days; documentation related to your active duty service which reflects the dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), or dates of impending separation. Documentation is required for eligibility verification.
Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents: You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application. If you are unable to apply online or unable to upload your supporting documents to your online application, follow the directions located at the following site: Fax Options. The Vacancy ID of the job opportunity announcement is 1996720.
NOTE: If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203-FX) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
Department of Veterans Affairs
Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
AddressVHA Richmond VAMC Department of Veterans Affairs MC 1201 Broad Rock Blvd Richmond VA USA
PROwESS Resume Optimizer
Score, Target and Improve Your Resume For Any Federal JobThe most successful candidates tailor their resume to the job. Don't assume your resume has covered the job requirements. Our new tool uses artificial intelligence to score your resume, and provide task statements and word suggestions which will improve your resume.
Introducing Interactive Job Vacancy Announcements
We have pulled just the important line items from the Federal vacancy and put them all in one place. No more search all over to find the key items you need to address. Including importing the Occupational Questionnaire where available. Each scored, each searchable for concepts, keywords and related tasks that you might add to your resume to improve your score.
Key Features Include:
- Pop-up competency definitions
- Highlighted Keyword matches from your resume
- Line-item scoring resume vs job
- Suggestions for improved language
A Resume Editor with Keyword Suggestions
The most successful candidates tailor their resume to the job. Don't assume your resume has covered the job requirements. Be certain.
A Resume Editor That Comes Alive With Suggestions
Score Your Resume Against Each Job Line Item
The most successful candidate's tailor their resume to the job. Don't assume your resume has covered the job requirements. Be certain. Keyword matches will show up as green and your resume's overall match for the each item in the job description will be graded with up to 5 stars. Each line in the job description can be clicked revealing semantically related topics, flush with keyword suggestions that you might choose to include in your resume, and thousands of example job description statements that can show you the most effective ways to state your experience.
Find Great Content and Impactful Language
PROwESS subscribers will see concept definitions, related concepts, power keywords (nouns, verbs and adjectives related to the concept), and related task statements.
PROwESS is unique and affordable. Continuous and targeted resume improvement with a few clicks. Order now for as less than $6 per month.Order Now