Staff Chaplain (Roman Catholic)
Veterans Health Administration
Department of Veterans Affairs
$35 to $45
05/29/2017 to 04/13/2018
The Chaplain has responsibility for providing well-rounded ministry for patients and participates in the total health care program of the medical center with other professional and paraprofessional staff. The Chaplain assesses religious, spiritual, moral and ethical circumstances and issues of patients; plans and provides appropriate ministration, including individual in-depth pastoral ministry, enhancing individual's holistic care and treatment program. Duties include:
- Preparing and celebrating Roman Catholic Mass
- Administering sacraments and various rites to Roman Catholic patients as needed, e.g., Sacrament of Penance, Anointing of the Sick, Last Rites, etc.
- Assuring that all patients' right to free-exercise of religion is upheld, and protecting all patients from proselytizing from any source.
- Finding other chaplains and/or community clergy to provide for patient religious needs that the chaplain cannot meet.
- Interpreting the purpose and mission of the hospital as appropriate to the religious and civic community.
- Actively participates in interdisciplinary discussion, conference and distinctive contributions to the discussions and plans for the treatment and care of Veteran patients.
- Providing religious instruction and pastoral care for inpatient and outpatient recipients served by the medical Center.
- Performing spiritual assessments
- Maintaining contacts with families of Veteran patients with local pastors, with local church groups and with interested community organizations to further their engagement with patients and the medical center
- Serving as spiritual counselor to patients and their families on ethical and moral matters, including problems of conscience and family and marital differences.
- Documenting Veteran patients' assessment, treatment, and ministry in electronic medical records system.
- Background and-or Security Investigation required
- Ecclesiastical Endorsement
- Must be a U.S. Citizen
- Must complete a one-year trial period
- Pre-employment exam is required
To be considered for this position applicants must meet all of the following requirements:Ecclesiastical Endorsement: An ecclesiastical endorsement, dated within 12 months prior to the closing date of the announcement, from the Roman Catholic Archdiocese for the Military Services USA. An ecclesiastical endorsement is the written official statement by the endorsing body certifying that you are in good standing with the faith group or denomination and that you, in the opinion of the endorsing body, are qualified to provide the full range of ministry required in the VA's pluralistic setting.
Education: A Master of Divinity from an institution accredited by an accrediting organization recognized by the U.S. Department of Education, or the equivalent. Equivalent education is a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution plus at least 70 graduate semester hours which included all of the following: at least 20 semester hours in pastoral ministry; 20 semester hours in any combination of theology, ethics, and philosophy of religion; 20 semester hours in the study of sacred writings, including the study of languages in which sacred writings are written; and 10 semester hours in religious history and/or world religions.Clinical Pastoral Education: In addition to the education requirement, applicants must have completed at least 2 units of Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) in program(s) accredited by the Association for Clinical Pastoral Education or have equivalent training. Equivalent training is 800 hours of supervised ministry in a formal training program which incorporated both ministry formation and pastoral care skills development. The training program must have included the supervised performance of ministry, didactics (classroom study), interaction with a peer-group of students, and one-on-one supervision with the training leader. Experience: Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work can help build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. At least 3 years of ministry experience is required. At least 2 years of this experience must have followed completion of the Master of Divinity or equivalent education. Experience during graduate education may count for up to one year of the two years of required experience. Completion of a doctoral degree directly related to pastoral ministry may be substituted for one year of this experience.
Clinical Pastoral Education in excess of two units counts toward the experience requirement.
English Language Competency: All applicants must be proficient in written and spoken English.Selective Service Registration: By law, all males born after December 31, 1959 must have registered with the Selective Service (the military draft) or have a valid exemption
Education must be from institution(s) accredited by an accrediting organization approved by the U.S. Department of Education. To determine if an institution is so accredited, see the search engine on the U.S. Department of Education website:
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR FOREIGN EDUCATION:Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the above requirements. You must show proof that the education credentials have been submitted to an evaluation organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign educational credentials and that such education has been deemed to be at least equivalent to that gained in conventional U.S. education programs; or an accredited U.S. state university reports the other institution as one whose transcript is given full value, or full value is given in subject areas applicable to the curricula at the state university. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence when applying. Evaluations of foreign education will only be accepted from credential evaluation services that are members of either the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) or the Association of International Credentials Evaluators (AICE). To find information about credential evaluation services look on their websites: http://naces.org/ and http://aice-eval.org/ Evaluations of foreign education MUST include the number of semester hours to which each course is equivalent. Without this information we cannot determine whether the VA chaplain education equivalency standard is met, and your application will not be considered.
- If you are a veteran with preference eligibility and you are claiming veterans' preference, you must submit a copy of your DD-214 or other proof of eligibility. If you are claiming 10-point veterans' preference, you must also submit an SF-15, "Application for 10 Points Veteran's Preference, link to the form SF-15, https://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/SF15.pdf plus the proof required by that form. You may download VA letters by going to https://www.ebenefits.va.gov/ebenefits-portal/ebenefits.portal For more information on veterans' preference see http://www.fedshirevets.gov/
- Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service (see http://www.sss.gov/ ).
- Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP): This program is not applicable to positions in the excepted civil service.
How to Apply
All applicants are encouraged to apply online.
To apply: a complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on Friday, April 13, 2018 to receive consideration.
1. To begin, click Apply Online to create a USAJOBS account or log in to your existing account. Follow the prompts to select your USAJOBS resume and/or other supporting documents and complete the occupational questionnaire.
2. Click Submit My Answers to submit your application package.
NOTE:It is your responsibility to ensure your responses and appropriate documentation is submitted prior to Friday, April 13, 2018.
Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents: You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application. If you are unable to apply online or unable to upload your supporting documents to your online application, follow the directions located at the following site: Fax Options The Vacancy ID of the job opportunity announcement is 1945152. If faxing please click on: Fax Option and instructions will be provided on how to fax your entire application. Click on link to view View Occupational Questionnaire
NOTE:If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203-FX) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible.
How You Will Be Evaluated
All applicants who meet the minimum qualification requirements will be evaluated by the Board of Excepted Service Examiners to determine the degree to which the documents provided demonstrate that the applicant has the following competencies:
- Assessing patients' spiritual needs and planning care in various care settings Communicating health care information to individuals, groups, patients, treatment teams
- Acquiring new pertinent knowledge and skills through on-going professional self-development Organizing work, setting goals, measuring and documenting outcomes
- Providing information and assistance to internal and external stakeholders including patients, families, staff members, community organizations, Veterans organizations
- Providing pastoral care in a hospital setting to patients, relatives and significant others in accordance with standards of cognate groups such as the Association of Professional Chaplains, the Joint Commission
- Assuring that patients have opportunity for free exercise of religion and preventing proselytizing from any source Utilizing information technology including documenting care in electronic medical records
- Advising interdisciplinary teams about patient needs and incorporating spiritual care into holistic health careProviding care and advice on difficult and complex issues in accordance with principles and practices of clinical and moral ethics
- Performing sacraments, rituals, ordinances, and worship service as appropriate to meet the needs of patients of the faith group by which the individual is endorsed
- Dealing effectively with diversity. Providing culturally competent care
- Taking initiative to seek methods to improve care and to lead workgroups, committees, and teams
Applicants will be given a numerical score between 70 and 100. The numerical score is based on the totality of relevant competencies. It is not determined by summing scores on each competency.
Those Veterans who are entitled to preference will get either 5 or 10 points added. Applicants will be referred to the medical center for final consideration in score order. The medical center must select from among the highest three applicants.
Applicants who have completed a Clinical Pastoral Education residency or fellowship in a Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center within the past year; and who meet the minimum qualification requirements, will be referred to the selecting official for consideration without a numerical rating. This is called "non-competitive consideration." Veteran preference will be applied in making selections from lists of applicants eligible for non-competitive consideration.
Additional informationRead more
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Your resume. You may complete an on-line resume in USAJOBS or you may submit a resume of your own devising. Your resume should describe in detail your ministry in health care settings. List all jobs held whether paid or unpaid. You must indicate whether each job held was full time or part time. For part time jobs indicate the average number of hours you worked per week.
2. You must complete the on-line Assessment Questionnaire
3. Ecclesiastical Endorsement, dated within the past 12 months signed by the designated endorsing official of the Archdiocese of the Military.
4.. Certificates or evaluations showing completion of Clinical Pastoral Education. Only documented units of Clinical Pastoral Education completed in programs accredited by the Association for Clinical Pastoral Education (ACPE) or the National Association of Catholic Chaplains (NACC) automatically count toward the CPE requirement. You must provide a detailed narrative description of any other training you would like considered toward the CPE requirement. Your description must include the following information:
- The beginning and ending dates of training
- The name and location of the institution(s) in which the supervised ministry was performed;
- The name(s) and title(s) of the educational supervisor(s)/instructor(s);
- The total number of hours of performance of ministry in a health care setting; The total number of hours of classroom or didactics, and individual meetings with the supervisor/instructor;
- The learning objectives, the method(s) of reporting on and evaluation of the practice of ministry, and how feedback from peers and teachers was obtained.
5. Transcript(s) of all graduate-level education. Student copies are acceptable. Transcripts must indicate the degree awarded, if any, and the date awarded or conferred. A copy of the certificate or diploma must be submitted, if no completion date is indicated on the transcript. Transcripts must show the name of the institution. If you have a Master of Divinity Degree you do not need to submit undergraduate transcripts.
6. Veteran preference Documentation, if applicable. If you are a Veteran, submit copies of all discharge documents DD 214 Member-4 or Service 4 copy. If claiming 10-points Veteran's preference submit SF-15 with documentation described in the form.
*All documents must be submitted by midnight Eastern Daylight Time on Friday, December 29, 2017
Incomplete applications, applications received after the closing date or applications submitted to the National Chaplain Center will not be considered.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
Department of Veterans Affairs
Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
AddressVA National Chaplain Center Department of Veterans Affairs Hampton VA
PROwESS Resume Optimizer
Score, Target and Improve Your Resume For Any Federal JobThe most successful candidates tailor their resume to the job. Don't assume your resume has covered the job requirements. Our new tool uses artificial intelligence to score your resume, and provide task statements and word suggestions which will improve your resume.
Introducing Interactive Job Vacancy Announcements
We have pulled just the important line items from the Federal vacancy and put them all in one place. No more search all over to find the key items you need to address. Including importing the Occupational Questionnaire where available. Each scored, each searchable for concepts, keywords and related tasks that you might add to your resume to improve your score.
Key Features Include:
- Pop-up competency definitions
- Highlighted Keyword matches from your resume
- Line-item scoring resume vs job
- Suggestions for improved language
A Resume Editor with Keyword Suggestions
The most successful candidates tailor their resume to the job. Don't assume your resume has covered the job requirements. Be certain.
A Resume Editor That Comes Alive With Suggestions
Score Your Resume Against Each Job Line Item
The most successful candidate's tailor their resume to the job. Don't assume your resume has covered the job requirements. Be certain. Keyword matches will show up as green and your resume's overall match for the each item in the job description will be graded with up to 5 stars. Each line in the job description can be clicked revealing semantically related topics, flush with keyword suggestions that you might choose to include in your resume, and thousands of example job description statements that can show you the most effective ways to state your experience.
Find Great Content and Impactful Language
PROwESS subscribers will see concept definitions, related concepts, power keywords (nouns, verbs and adjectives related to the concept), and related task statements.
PROwESS is unique and affordable. Continuous and targeted resume improvement with a few clicks. Order now for as less than $6 per month.Order Now