Tractor Operator (Intermittent)
Department of Veterans Affairs
$22 to $25
11/29/2017 to 11/26/2018
Position is under the supervision of the Maintenance Supervisor and works with minimal supervision to accomplish duties related to tractor operation, snow removal and grounds maintenance. Incumbent is a member of the Snow Removal team and is required to dress appropriately to the task assigned using government furnished uniforms and clothing. Duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Sidewalk, street, and parking lot maintenance, such as cleaning and sweeping surfaces to keep them clear of leaves, branches, dirt, and all debris to ensure safe passage of foot traffic, auto, and parking lots
- Repair holes in the streets, sidewalks, and parking lots
- Remove ice, snow, from sidewalks, streets, and parking lots in the winter to prevent slipping and sliding
- Apply ice melt to sidewalks and sanding street to keep ice from forming after removing snow
- Operate mowing equipment, farm equipment, and industrial type tractors through 50 hp and 4x4 truck through 1 ½ ton Includes dual and triple hydraulic control systems which control length, depth load, draft and control speed of the equipment and attachments
- Coupling these systems to the equipment which includes three-point hitch, both manual and hydraulic, and power take-off shafts which exceed 540 RPM
- Make necessary adjustments to establish correct length, depth and angle lateral movement of equipment and accessory equipment such as snow blades, disk-scarifies, and aerators
- Control forward and reverse movement of the vehicle up and down and one angle of the attached accessories simultaneously
- Maneuver the vehicle in and around curbs, shrubs, trees and other obstructions which may be encountered whether on flat or hilly terrain;
- Select the proper speed on industrial Mowers and Tractors up to eight gears forward and reverse and select the proper gear with P.T.O. speed, and be able to use lock differential and Syncro-Mesh transmissions
- Operate the Tractor and equipment so as to avoid damaging shrubs, trees, building, and other obstacles
- Operate in a safe manner at the work site
- Service and make minor repairs such as checking for loose bolts and nuts, greasing and checking oil in all types of equipment operated
- Responsible for tools and equipment assigned to the section, care and security of same
- Responsible for ensuring that tools and equipment are kept clean and in safe working condition at all times
- Responsible for preventative maintenance on vehicles and equipment and minor repairs
- Prune trees and shrubs for health appearance to assure low hanging limbs do not present a safety problem
- Performs lawn maintenance tasks, such as mowing, trimming, seeding and fertilizing without cause damage to lawn, trees, shrubs, or equipment.
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday, 8:00AM - 4:30PMPosition Description Title/PD#:Tractor Operator, PD# 04702-A
Conditions of Employment
- You must be a U.S. citizen to apply for this job.
- Subject to a background/suitability investigation.
- Designated and/or random drug testing may be required.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
PHYSICAL EFFORT/REQUIREMENTS: heavy lifting (45 lbs and over), heavy carrying (45 lbs and over), pushing (1-3 hours), reaching above shoulder, use of fingers, both hands required, walking (1-2 hours), standing (1 hour), crawling (1 hour), kneeling (1 hour), repeated bending (1-2 hours), climbing - legs only (1 hour), climbing - use of legs and arms, both legs required, operation of tractor, ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously, both eyes required, depth perception, hearing (aid permitted).
WORKING CONDITIONS: Working conditions are sometimes difficult working with grease, in extreme heat or cold, unventilated areas, near steam and hot water lines, in rain, high winds, snow, and ice, etc. Incumbent is expected to work in adverse weather conditions depending on requirements of the job incumbent is assigned. Incumbent may be required to report for duty in all emergencies that may occur at the Medical Center. Incumbent enters and exits heated buildings in all types of weather.
Your background must demonstrate experience in a variety of tractor operator duties including tractor operation and maneuvering, performing service and routing maintenance on tractors, hooking up coupling devices between tractor and towed vehicles, knowledge of safety precautions and judging tractor operator functions such as proper gears, turning angles, speeds, stopping distances and load weight.
EXPERIENCE: A specific length of training and experience is not required, but you must show evidence of training or experience of sufficient scope and quality of your ability to do the work of this position. Evidence which demonstrates you possess the knowledge, skills, and ability to perform the duties of this position must be supported by detailed descriptions of such on your resume or OF-612. Applicants will be rated in accordance with the OPM Qualification Standard Handbook X-118C ( www.opm.gov/qualifications/x-118c ).
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
SCREEN-OUT ELEMENT: Your qualifications will first be evaluated against the prescribed screen out element, which usually appears as question 1 in the on-line questionnaire. Those applicants who appear to possess at least the minimal acceptable qualification requirement are considered for further rating; those who do not are rated ineligible and are eliminated. The potential eligibles are then rated against the remainder of the questions. The screen-out element for this position is Ability to do the job of a Tractor Operator without more than normal supervision.
JOB ELEMENTS: Those who meet the minimum level of experience and training for the screen-out element will then be evaluated in each of the following job elements:
How to Apply
All applicants are encouraged to apply online.
The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on Monday, November 26, 2018 to receive consideration.
1. To begin, click Apply Online to create a USAJOBS account or log in to your existing account. Follow the prompts to select your USAJOBS resume and/or other supporting documents and complete the occupational questionnaire.
2. Click Submit My Answers to submit your application package.
NOTE: It is your responsibility to ensure your responses and appropriate documentation is submitted prior to the closing date.
To verify your application is complete, log into your USAJOBS account, https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login, select the Application Status link and then select the more information link for this position. The Details page will display the status of your application, the documentation received and processed, and any correspondence the agency has sent related to this application. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
To return to an incomplete application, log into your USAJOBS account and click Update Application in the vacancy announcement. You must re-select your resume and/or other documents from your USAJOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
Agency contact information
Mark P. Scanlon
AddressVHA Eastern Kansas HCS
2200 Southwest Gage Boulevard
After we receive application packages (including all required documents) and the vacancy announcement closes, we will review applications to ensure qualification and eligibility requirements are met. During our review, if your résumé and application package do not support your questionnaire answers, we will adjust your rating accordingly. After the review is complete, a referral certificate(s) is issued and applicants will be notified of their status by email (if provided); otherwise, applicants will receive a notification letter via the U.S. Postal Service. Referred applicants will be notified as such and may be contacted directly by the hiring office for an interview. All referred applicants receive a final notification once a selection decision has been made.
You may also check the status of your application at any time by logging onto your USAJobs account and clicking on "Application Status." For a more detailed update of your status, click on "more information." Information regarding applicant notification points can be found in the USAJobs Resource Center.
The Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) and Career Transition Assistance Plan CTAP) provide eligible displaced Federal competitive service employees with selection priority over other candidates for competitive service vacancies. To be qualified you must submit appropriate documentation and be found well-qualified (have a final rating of 85 or more before any Veterans preference points) for this vacancy. Information about ICTAP and CTAP eligibility is on OPM's Career Transition Resources website.
Receiving Service Credit for Earning Annual (Vacation) Leave : Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
All applicants are required to submit the following supporting document type(s):
Applicants may also submit the following supporting document type(s),which may not be required for all applicants:
·Other Veterans Document
Please use this checklist to ensure you have included other documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), documentation to support Veterans Preference claims, or ICTAP/CTAP documentation (for displaced Federal employees). You will not be contacted for additional information.
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference for 5pt (TP), or 10pt (CP/CPS, XPP, XP), or for Sole Survivor Preference (SSP), on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section(s) provided. A legible copy of your DD214(s) indicating character of service, disability certification, SF-15 (if claiming 10 pt. preference) or if you are currently serving on active duty and expected to be released or discharged within 120 days; documentation related to your active duty service which reflects the dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), or dates of impending separation. Documentation is required for eligibility verification.
Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents: You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application. If you are unable to apply online or unable to upload your supporting documents to your online application, follow the directions located at the following site: Fax Options. The Vacancy ID of the job opportunity announcement is 2025373.
NOTE: If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203-FX) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
Agency contact information
Mark P. Scanlon
AddressVHA Eastern Kansas HCS 2200 Southwest Gage Boulevard Topeka KS
PROwESS Resume Optimizer
Score, Target and Improve Your Resume For Any Federal JobThe most successful candidates tailor their resume to the job. Don't assume your resume has covered the job requirements. Our new tool uses artificial intelligence to score your resume, and provide task statements and word suggestions which will improve your resume.
Introducing Interactive Job Vacancy Announcements
We have pulled just the important line items from the Federal vacancy and put them all in one place. No more search all over to find the key items you need to address. Including importing the Occupational Questionnaire where available. Each scored, each searchable for concepts, keywords and related tasks that you might add to your resume to improve your score.
Key Features Include:
- Pop-up competency definitions
- Highlighted Keyword matches from your resume
- Line-item scoring resume vs job
- Suggestions for improved language
A Resume Editor with Keyword Suggestions
The most successful candidates tailor their resume to the job. Don't assume your resume has covered the job requirements. Be certain.
A Resume Editor That Comes Alive With Suggestions
Score Your Resume Against Each Job Line Item
The most successful candidate's tailor their resume to the job. Don't assume your resume has covered the job requirements. Be certain. Keyword matches will show up as green and your resume's overall match for the each item in the job description will be graded with up to 5 stars. Each line in the job description can be clicked revealing semantically related topics, flush with keyword suggestions that you might choose to include in your resume, and thousands of example job description statements that can show you the most effective ways to state your experience.
Find Great Content and Impactful Language
PROwESS subscribers will see concept definitions, related concepts, power keywords (nouns, verbs and adjectives related to the concept), and related task statements.
PROwESS is unique and affordable. Continuous and targeted resume improvement with a few clicks. Order now for as less than $6 per month.Order Now