Food Safety and Inspection Service
Department of Agriculture
$60,210 to $93,821
04/13/2016 to 04/17/2018
Our Public Health Veterinarians are valued members of a dynamic team. Most importantly, you are in a pivotal role from day one and your work has visible impact. You will:
- Plan, organize, coordinate and adapt the full range of meat and poultry inspection operations in slaughter and/or processing establishments;
- Ensure establishments meet requirements of the Pathogen Reduction and Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulations;
- Oversee consumer protection, non-food safety concerns such as proper labeling and packaging;
- Serve as team leader who works with and supervises other public health professionals to ensure establishments under our jurisdiction comply with sanitation standards and properly implement systems that control hazards from entering the food supply;
- Enforce the Federal meat and poultry inspection procedures prior to slaughter and throughout the entire establishment, including humane handling, ante-mortem inspection, post-mortem inspection, processing operations, veterinary dispositions, and transportation and distribution of meat, poultry, and egg products to markets and retail stores.
- US Citizenship is required.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
- Successful completion of a background investigation
- Successful completion of a pre-employment physical
- Training as a condition of employment
Please reference the specific Office of Personnel Management (OPM) qualifications standards for the 0701 Job Series.You may apply to this announcement up to six (6) months prior to receiving your Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degree.You must submit a legible copy of your college transcripts, with your application package, showing your conferred DVM degree, as proof that you meet the education requirement. BASIC QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENT FOR THE GS-11 GRADE LEVEL:Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) or equivalent degree, i.e., Veterinary Medical Doctor (VMD), obtained at a school or college of veterinary medicine accredited by the American Veterinary Medical Association Council on Education (AVMA). The AVMA web site has a listing of all AVMA-accredited veterinary medical schools. AVMA web site: Click HereORGraduates of foreign veterinary medical schools that are not accredited by the AVMA Council on Education must meet one of the following requirements.
- Proof of certification of their final transcript by the Educational Commission for Foreign Veterinary Graduates (ECFVG)
- Possession of a permanent, full, and unrestricted license to practice veterinary medicine in a State, District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States that includes successful completion of the North American Veterinary Licensing Examination (NAVLE) or its predecessors, the National Board Examination (NBE) and the Clinical Competency Test (CCT).
- Proof that the education obtained in a foreign veterinary medical program is equivalent to that gained in a veterinary medical program that is accredited by the American Veterinary Medical Association Council on Education. Under this provision, equivalency is established only if an AVMA-accredited veterinary medical school or college accepts the graduates final transcript from the foreign veterinary medical school at full value for placement into an advanced degree, postgraduate educational program, or training program (e.g. residency or graduate program).
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) - Minimum scores for the TOEFL are 560 for the paper-based version; 220 for the computer-based version; or overall score of 83 for the internet-based version (including 26 or higher in speaking, 26 or higher in listening, and 17 or higher in writing). For the computer-based and paper-based test versions, applicants must also complete the Test of Spoken English (TSE) and the Test of Written English (TWE). Minimum required scores are 55 for the TSE and 5.5 for the TWE;
- Academic tests (listening, writing, and speaking) offered by the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). Applicants must achieve a minimum overall band score of 7.0, with at least 7.0 in speaking, 6.5 in listening, and 6.0 in writing; OR
- Canadian Academic English Language Assessment (CAEL). Applicants must achieve a minimum overall band score of 70, with at least 60 in speaking, 60 in listening, and 50 in writing.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS AND INFORMATION:Functional Requirements and Environmental FactorsTraining As A Condition of Employment (TCOE)On The Job Training StatementThis position requires a Pre-Employment Physical.Entrance on duty is contingent upon completion of a pre-employment security investigation. The position may require a Confidential, Secret, or Top Secret security clearance or be subject to a Public Trust background investigation at the time of appointment, and may be subject to reinvestigation every five years thereafter. A favorable adjudication of the clearance or background investigation at the time of appointment and on reinvestigations is a condition of employment. If selected, you will be required to have the official transcripts sent directly from your college, in a sealed envelope or a secure, certified official electronic format, to our Human Resources Operations Division Office (Minneapolis, MN), prior to entering on duty. If you receive a tentative offer for a position, and do not provide official transcripts as specified above, your tentative offer will be withdrawn.If selected, false documents and statements can jeopardize employment and may be grounds for disciplinary action, including removal from Federal service.Subject to satisfactory completion of one-year probationary or trial period (unless prior service is creditable).Subject to one-year supervisory/managerial probation period (unless prior service is creditable).If you are newly hired, the documentation you present for purposes of completing the Department Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 on your first day of work (entry on duty) is verified through the DHS "E-VERIFY" system. Federal law requires the use of E-VERIFY to confirm the employment eligibility of all new hires. Under this system, the new hire is required to resolve any identified discrepancies as a condition of continued employment.
Public Trust - Background Investigation
How to Apply
Please read the entire announcement and the instructions before you begin. The following instructions outline our application process.
- You must complete this application process and submit all required documents electronically.
- We are available to assist you during normal business hours.
- Applying online is highly encouraged. If applying online poses a hardship, please contact our office for an alternate method.
- All electronic and hardship application packages with supporting documents must be complete to be considered.
- This agency provides reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities on a case-by-case basis. Please contact us if you require this for any part of the application and hiring process.
Step 1: Create a USAJOBS account (if you do not already have one) at www.usajobs.gov. It is recommended that as part of your profile you set up automatic email notification to be informed when the status of your application changes. If you choose not to set up this automatic notification, then you will have to log into your USAJOBS account to check on the status of your application.Step 2: In your USAJOBS account, you will have the opportunity to select your stored USAJOBS resume, create a new resume or upload a resume, and upload other relevant documents. All uploaded documents must be less than 3MB and in one of the following document formats: GIF, JPG, JPEG, PNG, RTF, PDF, or Word (DOC or DOCX). See "Required Documents" for details.
How You Will Be Evaluated
The Office of Personnel Management has granted Direct Hire Authority government-wide for Veterinary Medical Officer Positions. There is a critical hiring need in severe shortage locations and these positions play an important role in protecting the nation’s food supply. This authority permits hiring without regard to certain competitive requirements. For more information: Click HerePrior to issuing a referral list, we will review your resume and transcript(s) to ensure that you meet the qualification requirements for the grade(s) selected.
- Applicants are not rated or ranked numerically. Applicants are still strongly encouraged to provide complete information about their job-related experience and education. Your resume must document that you meet the Qualification Requirements detailed above.
- All applicants who meet the qualifications AND specific geographic location of the vacant position will be referred to the selecting official in last name order.
- Veteran’s preference does not apply due to the existence of the Direct Hire authority for this position. Applicants are still strongly encouraged to provide documentation related to veterans preference.
What To Expect Next
If you set up your USAJOBS account to send automatic email notifications, you will receive an email acknowledging: 1) the submission of your online Questionnaire and resume was successful, 2) if you were qualified and/or referred to the selecting official for consideration, and 3) if you were selected or not selected. If you choose not to set up automatic email notifications, you must check your USAJOBS account for the latest status of your application. Application packages may or may not be reviewed for eligibility prior to a vacancy being identified. If you are determined qualified, that does not mean there is an open position in your geographic location(s). You will be contacted directly if further evaluation or interview is required.
The Federal Government offers a comprehensive benefits package. Explore the major benefits offered to most Federal employees at: Click HereWe are a qualifying employer of the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program. For more information please visit: PSLF Program
FSIS offers various recruitment incentives to newly hired Veterinarians in difficult-to-staff duty locations! Incentives may include a multi-tiered recruitment bonus, student loan repayment, or Creditable Service for Annual Leave Accrual. Recruitment flexibilities and incentives are offered based on agency staffing needs and budgetary availability; service agreements apply. Please Click Here for more information on incentives and click here for current targeted locations.
Male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must be registered with the Selective Service System before they can be employed by an Executive Agency of the Federal Government. For More InformationIf selected for a position with further promotion potential, you are placed under a career development plan, and may be non-competitively promoted if you successfully complete the requirements and if recommended by management. However, promotion is neither implied nor guaranteed.Obtain and use a Government-issued charge card for business-related travel.Per Public Law 104-134, all Federal employees are required to have federal payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.Must possess and maintain a valid driver's license.
- A resume should be provided. It should include relevant work experience (start/end dates stated in month/year, description of duties and salary), applicable education at a minimum, and your contact information. For current or previous Federal employees, it should also include the Pay Plan, Series and Grade for each work experience entry.
- Provide specific and detailed information about work experience and job duties.
- Include all starting and ending dates for each job you have held (month/year) and note if you worked full-time or part-time hours for the job.
- List any licenses you hold and college degrees you have earned, including the type of degree and where earned. If you are qualifying for the GS-12 grade level, based on a Masters degree, you must submit a legible copy of your Masters degree transcripts with your application package. The transcript must show your name, the college name and the conferred degree, as proof that you meet the grade requirement.
- PROOF OF DOCTOR OF VETERINARY MEDICINE (DVM) DEGREE OR EQUIVALENT:
- You must submit a legible copy of your college DVM transcripts, with your application package, showing your conferred DVM degree, as proof that you meet the education requirement. If you are submitting unofficial transcripts, ensure that your name and the name of the college appears on the transcript.
- Graduates of foreign veterinary medical schools that are not accredited by the AVMA Council on Education must submit required documents (e.g., proof of ECFVG certification completion; or copy of Veterinary license; or Letter documenting acceptance into an advanced degree, post graduate, residency or graduate program at an AVMA accredited veterinary medical school; AND an English proficiency score report documenting required acceptable minimum scores, from TOEFL, IELTS or CAEL) that prove basic qualification for this position as stated in OPM’s qualification standards.
- If you are applying (up to six months) prior to completing your DVM degree, you must submit transcripts, with your name and the school name on them, showing you are currently enrolled in the DVM program.
- IF APPLICABLE, you may submit a Copy of current veterinary licenses (e.g., a license to practice veterinary medicine conferred by a state Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners); or a certificate (e.g., Diplomat in a specialty area of veterinary medicine, completion of a qualifying internship, residency, or Fellowship in veterinary medicine)
- IF APPLICABLE, CTAP/ICTAP DOCUMENTS: To be well-qualified and exercise selection priority for this vacancy, surplus or displaced Federal employee must meet the basic eligibility requirements and all selective factors, and be rated and determined to be well-qualified (or above) based on an evaluation of the competencies listed in the How You Will Be Evaluated section.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
Department Of Agriculture
Food Safety and Inspection Service
ContactHuman Resources Operations Division Phone: 800-370-3747
AddressFood Safety and Inspection Service Butler Square West 4th Floor, 100 North Sixth ST Minneapolis, MN USA
PROwESS Resume Optimizer
Score, Target and Improve Your Resume For Any Federal JobThe most successful candidates tailor their resume to the job. Don't assume your resume has covered the job requirements. Our new tool uses artificial intelligence to score your resume, and provide task statements and word suggestions which will improve your resume.
Introducing Interactive Job Vacancy Announcements
We have pulled just the important line items from the Federal vacancy and put them all in one place. No more search all over to find the key items you need to address. Including importing the Occupational Questionnaire where available. Each scored, each searchable for concepts, keywords and related tasks that you might add to your resume to improve your score.
Key Features Include:
- Pop-up competency definitions
- Highlighted Keyword matches from your resume
- Line-item scoring resume vs job
- Suggestions for improved language
A Resume Editor with Keyword Suggestions
The most successful candidates tailor their resume to the job. Don't assume your resume has covered the job requirements. Be certain.
A Resume Editor That Comes Alive With Suggestions
Score Your Resume Against Each Job Line Item
The most successful candidate's tailor their resume to the job. Don't assume your resume has covered the job requirements. Be certain. Keyword matches will show up as green and your resume's overall match for the each item in the job description will be graded with up to 5 stars. Each line in the job description can be clicked revealing semantically related topics, flush with keyword suggestions that you might choose to include in your resume, and thousands of example job description statements that can show you the most effective ways to state your experience.
Find Great Content and Impactful Language
PROwESS subscribers will see concept definitions, related concepts, power keywords (nouns, verbs and adjectives related to the concept), and related task statements.
PROwESS is unique and affordable. Continuous and targeted resume improvement with a few clicks. Order now for as less than $6 per month.Order Now